Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 188. Commisioned by Grandma

So this week I got a package in the mail, I was SO excited! I look in the box, there's a letter, some fabric remenents, some really nice quilting thread, pins, scissors and a whole bunch of other goodies.  I was elated! Thanks Grandma.  Then I read the letter.  Well more like detailed instructions.  In all good intentions (I imagine) it was requested of me that I turn these remenents into a pillow to accompany the new quilt my grandma made for my mother.  She described in detail-none of which I could really follow-about how precisely to quilt this particular pillow.  Gee thanks Grandma...
But of course I am a duitiful granddaughter and will willing, or rather somewhat grudgingly, obey.  But lucky for me I could not understand her directions and thereby get to make my own design! My favorite part. 

The fabrics are not ones that I would ever pick out for myself, or really for my mother..but there are some interesting qualities, namely that there are pretty pictures of birds on one that I am going to use as a centerpiece.  I was really taken with the novelty quilting piecing, Pine Burr, that I learned about in class yesterday.  I think it will make a nice throw pillow and it also looks, you know, kind of, grandma-ish so should fit in nicely with the blanket she made. (I can only imagine what it looks like, because she didn't bother to send me a photo of it!)

This is what the start of the quilt will look like, the center is the background fabric (the pretty bird fabric for me) leaving a nice star shape.  then the remaining triangles will be added to the perimeter, covering the stitching.



Here are the fabrics, at second look there doesn't look like there is enough of the bird fabric to be the center of the star, but maybe I'll use the black butterfly fabric as center instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment