Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 1...No More Excuses

  Today I am launching the biggest personal art project I've ever attempted.  I've been feeling in a funk lately, well more like a lazy lump.  I'm tired of working M-F making very cool interactive anatomy illustrations and then coming home only to watch the telly.  When will my own artwork get made?  I've been a half-hearted weekend warrior and I'm tired of it!  Life is short, I can't wait forever to be able to afford working part-time.  The time is NOW! 

So, for the next 365 days I will make artwork everyday, no matter what, no excuses allowed.  Then I will post my progress.  I really hope I can scare myself into doing it.  I mean if there is even one person who reads this, then I am responsible to them.  They will EXPECT to see my progress...

I would like to shout out to three people for giving me the idea for doing this.
1. Julie Powell (of the famous Julie & Julia) her 365 days of Julia Child were inspiring and made me very hungry.
2. Marissa @ New Dress a Day.  365days, 365outfits, 365dollars. Ingenious! And at the end, she will auction all of her outfits for charity.
3. Laura Collins and her very awesome All Things Connect.  One girl sewing connections one bag at a time.  I so enjoy your blog and your great bags I wish I could afford.


I didn't plan to launch this blog on September 11th.  That's just the way it happened.  But then I got thinking about how much of a tragedy 9-11 was and how helpless I felt when it happened. And I realized it's the perfect day to begin.
I've struggled for years thinking of all the ways I could help heal our world, but I keep coming back to one answer.  Making Artwork.  I know it sounds hippie.  But I feel with all my heart that our world can heal itself if we all use our voices to speak out, our hands to take action, and our hearts to feel compassion for one another.  Art just happens to be my voice.  But more than that, when I am making my work, it is very time consuming, very labor intensive- I tend to zone out (the closest to mediating I get) I spend this time in a kind of prayer.  And so this is the way I can help, sending out good energies every day and artwork that hopefully sends a good message.

Best Wishes,
Katharine Lion

No comments:

Post a Comment